M-L Yiu Ph.D. (Queensland)
Yiu is a professor in the Division of Speech & Hearing
Sciences. He worked at the University of Hong Kong between
1990 and 1992 as a lecturer. He has also worked in the University
of Queensland and Curtin University in Australia before he
rejoined the University of Hong Kong in 1996. Professor Yiu’s
primary research and teaching focus on voice science and disorders.
primary research interest is on the efficacy of voice therapy,
voice motor learning, analysis of voice quality, and alternative/complementary
medicine in voice therapy.
Professor Yiu is on the editorial boards of the following international
-International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders
-Asia Pacific Journal of Speech Language and Hearing
-Advances in Speech-Language Pathology
Research Grants Awarded|Voice
details on recent publications, please see HKU Scholar
Science and Disorders
Efficacy of voice therapy
Voice motor learning
Acoustic, perceptual and physiological correlates of voice qualities
Alternative and complementary medicine in voice therapy
Latest Book Publications
International Perspspectives on Voice Disorders
Publisher: Multingual Matters
Available at Amazon
Handbook of Voice Assessments
Publisher: Plural Publishing
Available at Amazon
- Yiu, E. M.-L., Chan, KM.K., & Mok, R.S.-M. (2007). Reliability and confidence in using a paired comparison paradigm in perceptual voice quality evaluation. Clinical Linguistics & Phonetics, 21(2): 129-145. (50% contribution)
- Yiu, E.ML., Wei, W., van Hasselt, A. & Wong, R. (2007) Predicting the outcome of conservative (non-surgical) voice therapy for adults with laryngeal pathologies associated with hyperfunctional voice use. Hong Kong Medical Journal, 13 (5), Suppl 5, 15-17.
- Kwong, E., Yiu, E., Xie, F., Lin, Z, & Chung, O. (2007). The effectiveness of acupuncture for vocal nodules: A radomized-controlled clinical trial [Abstract]. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 13(8), 874.
- Ma E., Robertson, J., Radford, C., Vagne, S. El-fifi, R. & Yiu, E. (2007). Reliability of speaking and maximum voice range measures in screening for dysphonia. Journal of Voice, 21, 397-406. (10% contribution)
- Ma, E. & Yiu, E. (2007). Scaling voice activity limitation and participation restriction in dysphonic individuals. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica, 59, 74-82. (30% contribution)
- Ma, E. P.-M., Yiu, E.M-L. & Verdolini, K. (2007) Application of the ICF to Voice Disorders. Seminars of Speech and Language, 28, 343-350.
- Yiu, E. M-L., Murdoch, B., Hird, K. & Lau, P. (2008) Perception of synthesized dysphonic qualities: A cross-language comparison. Folio Phonitrica et Logopedica, 60, 107-119.
- Law, I. K.-Y., Ma, E. P.-M., & Yiu, E. M.-L. (2009) Speech intelligibility, acceptability and communication-related quality of life in alaryngeal speakers. Archives of Otolaryngology, 135(7), 704-711. (30% contribution)
- Kwong, E. Y.-L., & Yiu, E. M.-L. (2010). A preliminary study of the effect of acupuncture on salivary cortisol level in female dysphonic speakers. Journal of Voice, 24(6), 719-723. (40% contribution)
- Yiu, E.M-L., Kong, J., Fong, R., & Chan, K.M.K. (2010) A preliminary study of a quantitative analysis method for high speed laryngoscopic images. International Journal of Speech Language Pathology, 12(6), 520-528. (60% contribution)
- Yiu, E.M.L., Ho, M.E., Ma, E.P-M., Verdolini Abbott, K., Branski, R, Richardson, K. & Li, N.Y.-K. (2011) Cross-cultural differences in the perception of impact of voice disorders. Journal of Voice, 25(3), 348-353. (60% contribution)
- Wong, A.H.Y., Ma, E. P.-M. & Yiu, E. M,-L. (2011) Effects of Practice Variability on Learning of Relaxed Phonation in Vocally Hyperfunctional Speakers. Journal of Voice, 25(3), e103-e113. (30% contribution)
- Warhurst, S., Madill, C., McCabe, P., Heard, R., & Yiu, E. (2012). The Vocal Clarity of Female Speech Pathology Students: An Exploratory Study. Journal of Voice, 26(1), 63-68. (20% contribution)
- Chan, K, M.K. & Yiu, E.M.-L (2011) Green Voice Project: Preserving the healthy voice in teachers. Perspective in Voice Disorders, July, 2011, 62-70.
- Wang, G., Lo, A., Chan, K., Kong, J.P. & Yiu, E. (2012) Vocal fold vibratory and acoustic features in fatigued Karaoke singers. (Abstract) Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 131(4), 3376. (40% contribution) [Supported by HKRGC-GRF#75781]
- Chan, K.M.K., Li, M., Law, T.Y., Yiu, E.M.L. (in press) Effects of Feedback on Training Auditory Perceptual Voice Quality Evaluation. International Journal of Speech Language Pathology.
- Yiu, E.M-L., Chen, F., Lo, G, & Pang, G (In press). Vibratory and perceptual measurement of resonant voice. Journal of Voice.
National Institute of Health
2007. Prospective randomized double-blind study of acupuncture for phonotrauma. National Institute of Health. (Principal Investigator, US$275,000)
2009. Prospective Study on Prevention and Treatment of Voice Problems in Teachers. National Institute of Health (2009 R01 DC008567) (Principal Investigator - Hong Kong Team US$445,995) (Cross-center trial in collaboration with Prof Katherine Verdolini, Total funding US$3,422,120)
2008. Quality Education Fund. Teacher’s Voice Risk Calculator: Reducing The Risk Of Developing Voice Problems In Teachers. (Principal Investigator, HK$441,000)
Kong Research Grant Council
2007. Green Voice Projects for Teachers: A preventive program for voice problems in pprimary and secondary school teachers. Hong Kong Research Grant Council 2007-2010. (Principal Investigator. HK$ 977,280).
2008. Effects of self-controlled feedback paradigm on motor learning of a "relaxed phonation" task. Hong Kong Research Grant Council 2007-2010. (Co- Investigator. HK$ 326,862).
2009. Effectiveness of laser acupuncture for treating vocal fold pathologies. Hong Kong Research Grant Council 2007-2010. (Principal Investigator. HK$ 950,000).
2011. High-speed imaging of vocal fold vibration patterns in vocally fatigued teachers. Hong Kong Research Grant Council 2011-2014. (Principal Investigator. HK$ 756,873).
2006. Teacher Voice Risk Calculator: A self assessment based tool for identifying teachers at risk of developing voice disorders. Small Project Fund 2006-2007 (Project Code-10207272). (Principal Investigator. HK$56,640).
2006. The use of synthesized anchors and training for the perceptual evaluation of hypernasality 2006-2007. (Co-Investigator. HK$66,880).
2007. Effect of electrical stimulation of neck muscle on swallowing and voicing (Small Project Grant Principal Investigator: HK$57,330)
2011. Prevalence, impact and management of swallowing problems in nursing homes (Seed Grant Principal Investigator: HK$80,590)
Endowment Research Grants
2004. Effect of intensity of acupuncture on treating hyperfunctional voice disorder. Simon KY Lee Research Fund in Linguistics, Speech and Hearing Sciences Grant. (2004-2005) (Principal Investigator. HK$39,110).
2004. A simple guide to better voicing for teachers and professional voice use. INSTEP Grant for second book printing. (HK$17,700).
Equipment Grants/ University Development Fund
2009. High speed colour laryngoscopy. A$175,000. Faculty of health Sciences, The University of Sydney.
2009. University Development Fund for high speed and acoustic equipment. Estella Ma & Edwin Yiu. (HK$1.38 M)
2006. Enhancing professional skills of speech therapy students in providing alternative
service delivery models. Teaching Development Grant. (Principal Investigator.
2011. An alternative service delivery model for clinical education of speech therapy
students-Internet Voice Clinic (Co-Investigator HK$22,550)
used in the Research Projects